The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-don39t-believe-that-his-conclusion-last-34347879.aspx

Subject:  Re: Nobel Laureate Sharpe on Retirement Income ( Date:  11/19/2019  12:59 PM
Author:  TheBreeze Number:  96163 of 100389

I don't believe that his conclusion (last quote above) applies to me. I believe I can deal with portfolio volatility. I'll keep the 1% advisor fee for myself, and the high costs of an annuity, and take my chances with the 4% rule,

That's a good point, which maybe bears amplifying: The 1% fee shouldn't be compared to the 10% you imagine you're going to get long term in stocks, or the 6% you might really be getting on your stock/bond portfolio. It's a giant haircut off the 4% we believe we can safely take from that portfolio.

HOWEVER, it might be that some advisor could manage a portfolio skillfully enough during the withdrawal phase that the lack of volatility allowed a higher withdrawal rate. Could it increase it more than 25% to justify taking 1% out of the 4%? That's hard to imagine. I also don't think someone could assure that, unless he put you in an annuity which has its own downsides.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us