The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/fairly-young-family-swr-of-54-yes-it39s-34830723.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anyone higher than 4% SWR? Date:  5/12/2021  8:26 AM
Author:  Bonroy1924 Number:  888024 of 888784

Fairly young family.

SWR of 5.4%

Yes, it's high BUT there's 2 things I feel are relevant:

1.)18% of the monthly spending is total fluff (upscale travel, etc) that is nice to do, we're used to doing it - - but if needed it's easier to cut that out, versus cutting out groceries.

2.)This sounds weird, but it is what it is.

NOT counted in my nest-egg: 15 years living expenses, in cash, is parked abroad. 75% of it is in cash in banks. 25% of that is in a rental property (pre-covid, rented 45 weeks per year) that my family can living in with room to spare if need arises. These funds were, and are, 100% secure from being taxed in America which is a big reason why said funds are gone abroad. Back in the mid 2000s I was in the highest tax brackets unlike now when I am just a regular Joe in shorts and a baggy t shirt most days :)

So I know the 5.4% is very high. But if needed it can be cut down with minimal heartache and also, that 15 year stash is always in back of my mind. Technically, if I counted it in my nest-egg then my SWR goes to 3%. I just prefer somewhat pretending it's not there.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us