The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/to-me-this-is-the-root-of-the-problem-moberly-34835384.aspx

Subject:  Re: Our "best in the world" health car Date:  5/18/2021  3:18 AM
Author:  saunafool Number:  2354243 of 2363169

To me, this is the root of the problem:

Moberly Regional sued Bull last May for $9,281, costs that Bull said came from an emergency room visit for food poisoning several years ago.

The pricing for health care is completely wrong. Of course she can't pay when the price is beyond the financial margin of safety of 50% of the population.

She evidently doesn't have insurance--and I suspect that is one reason the bill is unreasonably high. An insurance company would have pre-negotiated rates and their price would likely be a small fraction of this bill.

Finally, it is a perfect example of the reason health care is not a commodity that people can shop around for. If you have food poisoning so bad that you need to go to the emergency room, you go to the nearest emergency room for treatment. You don't call around for quotes. You go, you get treated, and you find out how much it costs after the fact. (In fairness to the hospital, they don't know the price until after the fact either.)

So, the "system" charges the most to people who can least afford it.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us