The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-market-softened-around-here-ct-too-i-34856484.aspx

Subject:  Re: Need some suggestions for selling a house... Date:  6/17/2021  10:48 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  129745 of 129783

The market softened around here (CT) too.

I recently put my old house on the market at what we thought was a fair price given the hot way the market had been running. Very few showings, almost zero interest. One low ball offer $50k below asking. My realtor took another look at what was selling. Houses in perfect condition were still being mobbed. Houses that were in really bad condition - and priced for that - were selling. Houses like mine, far from perfect but with a lot to offer... going nowhere. If it had gone on the market a month or two earlier...

We dropped the price by $25k. Around the same time we got a solid offer, $5k above the new asking price. That family is selling a more expensive house, in better shape, in a more expensive town, for a lot more money than mine. BUT, that house is far smaller. The one I am selling has a fourth bedroom, a two room suite with a master bath; that second room would make a fantastic office, and one of the buyers already works from home. I suspect that they have one bathroom and this has three is another key influence. Their inspection is next week; my fingers are crossed.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us