No. of Recommendations: 21
Happy New Year, Everyone! It is time to announce the final standings for this years contest. I will start at the top:

CONGRATULATIONS to our overall winner this year, murdockvdk who shows a gain of 35% with his choices of BAC (long shot) and BRK-B.

Runner-up is knightof3, up 31% with MED and BRK-A.

Third goes to Namkato, up 28% with PTSC and WFC.

LONG SHOT STANDINGS:

1) EddieLuck, with an astounding 111% gain on SGMNF
2) A tie between murdockvdk and texirish, making a sweet 90% with BAC

SAFE BET STANDINGS:

1) cheftms, with a 34% gain on PAA
2) qazulight, making 30% on his beloved ITW
3) imuafool, just behind qaz, with 29% with AMT

METAR GROUP PERFORMANCE

Long Shot 1.41%
Safe Bet 2.62%
Combined 2.31%
Vs. SPY 11.5%

Analysis:

I find it interesting, when through most of the year the combined leaders were also leaders in at least one of the particular categories, that now we have reached the end there is almost no overlap in our standings (the one exception being our winner, murdockvdk, who also tied for second in the Long Shot group). I also think the results show that wild needle-in-the-haystack choices do not necessarily win. BRK.B and BAC is 1st place... and I probably do not have to tell anyone what companies those symbols represent. AAPL led most of the year for two contestants, and certainly ended up high in the standings. Again, hardly a penny stock wild shot. I predict next years winner will also have reasonable choices, not gambles. So, while that was not the intended purpose of the two choices, it is a good result of it, IMO.

Group performance - well, once again METAR under-performed the markets (pretty significantly, I think). Well, the reality is almost any group of people picking stocks individually underperforms the markets - even professional money managers. As to WHY we underperformed, I hinted at the possibility right at the start of the contest: we were very heavy in stuff from the ground, particularly oil and precious metals. Both of these under-performed this year (although very small PM companies on our contest did pretty good).

Crowing Rights: I note that the highest in any of this years leaders in ANY category placed last year was 18 (admittedly, many did not particpate). I also note that the highest placement this year for a leader last year (looking only at top players last year who PARTICIPATED this year) was 17th (ytire, 4th last year). Conclusion: it is hard to beat the market. It is even harder to beat the market consistently! Thus, we give you 48 hours to brag on your success! After that, you better be in the lead this year (2013) to continue to brag!

Thanks all who participated. I will try to post a final result list for posterity in a comment below (need to convert from formula to text).

Again, congrats to the winners, thanks to all who participated, and (appropriate for New Years):

Cheers!

Doug

link to spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmJvCXbV0PsBdEd...
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.