Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Here's the recipe. I was going to write the points, etc., but find I don't have all the ingredients to do so. Maybe Raggmopp can help.

- Beej

MEXICAN BEAN SOUP

In a large skillet, saute together for 3 minutes:
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil

Add and cook another 5 minutes:
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained

To the above, add:
2 15 oz cans of black beans or pinto beans, undrained
(Note: I use either black beans alone, or black and pinto together. I don't recommend kidney beans because of their thick skins. Also, I run about 2/3 of the beans through a blender to puree them a little, but you don't have to do this)
2 tsp chili powder, or to taste (I use more)
1 tsp ground cumin (I use about twice that)
1/2 tsp hot sauce (I use the jalapeno based Tabasco, and I just shake it in)
1 tsp salt
1 16 oz can fat free broth (chicken or vegetable)

Simmer at least 18 minutes.

I generally serve it in bowls with a spoonful of lowfat Monterey jack cheese, with tortilla chips (baked, if possible) on the side instead of crackers.

This freezes beautifully, it's good if you add rice to it and leave out the tortilla chips. I suspect you could leave out the broth and drain the beans and have a really nice dip, too.

Hope you enjoy it!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.