Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
How many people are influenced to pick up a book that has a Michael Whelan cover? I have discovered some wonderful books because of his work. Two examples being Melanie Rawn's work and Robin Hobbs books.

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
I loved the Robin Hobb's books, though it wasn't the cover per se, but the title. Did you know her real name is Megan Lindholm? You may find other (older/used) books by her under that name.

I was lent the Melanie Rawn books, and thought them ok, but wouldn't buy a set for myself.

How about Llyn Flewelling's Nightrunner series? Main characters are gay and that may put some people off, but I thought the storyline was excellent and the writing quite good.

What about J.V. Jones? The Books of Words trilogy was pretty good, the stand alone Barbed Coil I really enjoyed and her last one A Cavern of Black Ice was a while back and I am still waiting for the next one in that series.

Moonglade
I loved the Robin Hobb's books, though it wasn't the cover per se, but the title. Did you know her real name is Megan Lindholm? You may find other (older/used) books by her under that name.

I did know that, but I have not looked up any of her books by that name. I will say that I had spoken with her via e-mail and thought that was truly wonderful.

I was lent the Melanie Rawn books, and thought them ok, but wouldn't buy a set for myself.

I don't know why, but there was just something about her stories that I found very appealing. Of course she does piss me off in that she has no problems with killing people off.

How about Llyn Flewelling's Nightrunner series? Main characters are gay and that may put some people off, but I thought the storyline was excellent and the writing quite good.

I have seen them at the store, but never gotten them. I'll have to check them out though.

Have you read any of the pagan stories/mysteries? One that I want to check out is about a character named Rowan Gant. There are a couple different series I have on my wish list at Amazon. I'll have to get the names for you.

Mark
I didn't know which thread to tack this onto - for fantasy fans, I'm halfway through "Daughter of the Forest" by Juliet Marillier (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312875304/qid=1021490449/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0603434-8967214) and am very much enjoying it.

If only she would figure out how to write an ending that doesn't make me want to trhow the book across the room....

Her and Neal Stephenson both.

-mapletree
If only she would figure out how to write an ending that doesn't make me want to trhow the book across the room....

Her and Neal Stephenson both.

Don't start on Neal, woman.

<fisticuffs pose>I'll take you down</fisticuffs pose>

Don't start on Neal, woman.

<fisticuffs pose>I'll take you down</fisticuffs pose>

Love him, but, c'mon. The ending of Cryptonomicon? What the hell was that? With the guy coming out of nowhere?

And the ending of the Diamond Age was also very disappointing.

Authors who have these problems should just never stop writing their books. It's time to go back to the age of the serial, like Little Women.

Stephenson could just write a new chapter of Cryptonomicon every month.

Would that be OK?

-mapletree
Authors who have these problems should just never stop writing their books.

I think the ability to end a story is one thing that separates a great writer from a good one. There are several authors who write very well and keep me engaged while I am reading them and then I get to the end of the book and go, huh? Often these authors are the ones who do "never stop writing their books". They just keep cranking out the next installment because they can't figure out how to end a story. Sometimes it is great because I want the world they created to continue. Sometimes it is annoying because I wanted to visit that world, but really don't want to live there.

Often these authors are the ones who do "never stop writing their books". They just keep cranking out the next installment because they can't figure out how to end a story. Sometimes it is great because I want the world they created to continue. Sometimes it is annoying because I wanted to visit that world, but really don't want to live there.

Did someone mention Robert Jordan??

Moonglade
Mark,

Have you read any of the pagan stories/mysteries? One that I want to check out is about a character named Rowan Gant. There are a couple different series I have on my wish list at Amazon. I'll have to get the names for you.

I'd run across these before and since I am not overwhelmingly fond of murder mysteries, and even less fond of books on witches since they tend to make us into some sort of "supernatural" more-than-mortal beings who break the laws of nature left and right, I decided to avoid them. Particularly when the author uses the term "Wiccan" interchangably with "Witch" (not sure if author M.R. Sellers does that, but it IS common).

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips on reading material for my upcoming vacation!

Moonglade
I'd run across these before and since I am not overwhelmingly fond of murder mysteries, and even less fond of books on witches since they tend to make us into some sort of "supernatural" more-than-mortal beings who break the laws of nature left and right, I decided to avoid them. Particularly when the author uses the term "Wiccan" interchangably with "Witch" (not sure if author M.R. Sellers does that, but it IS common).

Have you come across Rosemary Edghill's Bast mystery series? The main character is wiccan. I'd be interested to know how authentic they are in their depiction of the religion. The mystery parts are pretty good.

mapletree
Have you come across Rosemary Edghill's Bast mystery series? The main character is wiccan. I'd be interested to know how authentic they are in their depiction of the religion. The mystery parts are pretty good.

I'll try them if my library carries them, just to check out the Wiccan depiction. Most authors, like Hollywood movies, like to dramatize the pagan religions since for the most part, pagans, whether Witches or Wiccans, tend to lead rather boring, mundane lives. So in books, we have "power in our blood from our mothers mothers mothers" or the ability to shoot lightning out of our fingertips. You know, like Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Cute show, but no candles around any circle I ever cast (when I rarely bother to work with magic) ever burst into flames on their own or flared up dramatically when I evoke the gods. That would be a nice effect to pull off for the token atheist in attendance (let alone token Christian!). Ah well, I guess I'll remain boring and mundane in ritual.

At least authors of genres besides horror or fantasy are acknowledging we exist, even if it is a skewed view.

Moonglade

Stephenson could just write a new chapter of Cryptonomicon every month.

Would that be OK?

Yes, Cryptonomicon would be a great serial.

I get the feeling Neal was on a big roll and his publisher said, "product NOW" so he wrapped it up.

I sorta liked the end of Diamond Age.

Michael Whelan also did a lot of covers for Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders series.

Beth