Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Michael,

I own GoPro stock and have had a GoPro camera for three years (for context, I do tend to be an earlier adopter of technology focused items - I had wireless access for my laptop prior to the 802.11 (WiFi) standard). I actually got 20 shares at the IPO price, and added some more shortly afterwards.

I don't really think the stock is a candidate for the Pro Portfolio (I allocate it to my speculative slice of overall holdings). It has been extremely volatile, and has some short term headwinds (IPO lockup expires later this month). However, I do believe in the long term prospects.

Below is my summary on usage of the camera that I posted on another board previously.

David

>>>>Posted in response to a Poll about GoPro Ownership on the Rules Breakers boards>>>>>:

I'm the one who voted that I already had a GoPro. It will be three years old in February (and thus might be due for an upgrade - although by buying the Black version when I did, the resolution (and other capabilities) are still near the top of the line).

The camera has been Skiing, White Water Rafting, Fly Fishing in the rain, Zip-lining, downhill mountain biking, snorkeling, hiking (and swimming under a waterfall) and recorded my 100 mile bike ride this past summer. There are probably a few other items I missed. It also was able to record a school play by being mounted above the audience.

As someone who has a good DSLR and compact digital cameras, plus more i-devices than necessary per person in the family, there are a lot of options to take photos / video. However, the GoPro has definitely been a leading contender, and has proved very useful. And while my wife has yet to prompt me to bring it with us, she has prompted me to use it at times.

The recent updates with the Hero 4 have brought more customers into the mix (a couple of friends who have talked about them in the past have joined the club over Christmas). And GoPro does get some additional revenue from me, even though I haven't upgraded the camera yet - they keep coming out with additional accessories that I occasionally purchase).

I think the market segment will continue to grow, and GoPro will continue to dominate. And like Mark, I think the content piece is an important part of the story - you don't see much outdoor footage that doesn't incorporate GoPro footage these days.

As background - I'm over 50, with a 10 year old son. I do like getting out in the outdoors, but more because I work in IT and am typically stuck in the office building. But I also see the younger generation (20 - 30 year olds) out with the cameras all the time.

An example of what you can do is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv-mzhHOwPQ&list=UU00DDj......

David
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.