Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
michaelhn wrote

The RMBS board is far and away the most entertaining of the lot; the debate about SDRAM vs. RDRAM should be made into a play. Anyway, having read 100s of posts on the subject, I am no further along in my understanding of the dynamics of these technologies and companies and how they will play out in the market.

Pretty much why I stopped reading over there. I did get the general impression that the benefits of RDRAM will not really manifest themselves until processing speeds increase substantially.

1. Can anyone provide me with OBJECTIVE data or sources that RDRAM really is an underperformer vis a vie SDRAM? Is Tom's Hardware a trusted authority?

2. If such is the case, what is the argument for sticking with RDRAM? Is it that it will "grow" into faster processors in the near or distant future? (as you can see I have NO technical bkrd but I am trying my best to understand the issues?

3. Who thinks that RMBS will become the standard and over take SDRAM and why? Who does not?

4. Finally, is RMBS in a gorilla game? If so, then with whom? Other DRAM companies? Not sure I understand this.

I will leave it to those who know more to give a detailed response, but (1) RMBS is in a gorilla game (see p. 135 of the 2nd edition), (2) Intel -- a gorilla -- has backed RMBS, further enhancing RMBS's status as the gorilla, (3) everything hinges on the outcome of the Hitachi lawsuit, and (4) RMBS sure is a lot more expensive now than it was when I figured out 1, 2, and 3 above. Having sold my RMBS is anticipation of margin calls, I don't pay that much attention anymore, but I understand your frustration: the RMBS board is both active and opinionated. Best of luck.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.