Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
michaelwj wrote:

"I have a feeling that as long as the jester is the symbol of our community we can always count on some level of unsavory (albeit legal) behavior which could be a cause of embarrassment. I'm fine with this as long as it doesn't take precedence over the message conveyed."

I'm certainly not suggesting that we abandon a contrarian posture, or fail to demonstrate a sense of humor. ( Whenever I think of the brother-in-law genetic scientist developing lemons the size of pickup trucks at Hugefruit Inc, I still lol...)

It's just that many of us who've travelled the good path with the brothers may be now sitting on a pretty fair stash of a whole lot more serious money than we started with. I still want to play the game well, and enjoy the insights of the community and wonders of the whole TMF phenomenon, but "evolve" is the word. I just have this uncomfortable feeling listening like the brothers David and Tom are still back "RFing" dorm rooms at college. That they're not growing with us.

I'm not sure that "serious" and "humor" need be polar issues... Jay Leno takes his humor seriously. And it shows in an excellent product.

Please let there be content and substance with the humor, instead of visa-versa.

So, Michael, I guess I'm agreeing with you, and I'm delighted with Mac's posture and replys. I'm looking forward to his best efforts.

jr
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.