Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
videos, inside look at structure, etc. It's actually a little expensive considering its size, but MUCH more affordable than almost any other electric car I have seen. There's also a little preview of an electric scooter and a youtube link about other electric vehicles.

https://electrek.co/2022/01/07/micro-shows-off-production-li...
Micro shows off production line for its adorable electric microcars, first units coming in March
<snip>The Microlino is an electric bubble car, often referred to as microcars, that looks like a modern take on a classic BMW Isetta. Swiss mobility company Micro has spent the last few years working out the kinks in the innovative electric vehicle’s design and is now ready to begin production this spring.
Despite looking like a car (more or less), the Microlino is described as “not a car” by its designers.
That’s true in both a literal and figurative sense, as it is actually classified as a quadricycle in Europe (something akin to a Low-Speed Vehicle or three-wheeled motorcycle classification in the US, which results in less regulation of the category).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
No thanks.

There are too many super-turbo-diesel trucks (usually with flags mounted on the truck bed). That little thing would get crushed in a simple fender-bender with one of those things.

Maybe some places it would be OK, but not in the US in general. Might work in Firenze...the streets there are VERY narrow, and parking is cramped.
I remember riding once in an Isetta when they were being sold in this country.

Other climate activists have scolded me several times for not driving an electric vehicle, but so far they aren't completely practical as the only car in a household. Several friends have them, but each of them is married to someone with a conventional or hybrid car. One drove his electric car from Syracuse to NYC earlier this year, rather frightened a lot of the time because so many of the charging stations he had mapped out didn't exist, were out of order, or incompatible with his car. He made it both ways, but the trips took twice as long as planned.

When I explain why an EV isn't ideal as an only car, they move on to scolding me about not driving a hybrid. The truth is that I tried to buy a hybrid in 2018, but there were none to be had and I couldn't postpone the purchase, as my 11-year-old Corolla had been in a flood. The only thing they agree that I've got right is that I hardly drive anywhere at all.
These look like a toy version of the Smart Car that came out maybe 10 or 15 years ago. That car died for lack of sales. My guess is this one will die even faster if it ever does come to USA.

There are formidable and costly barriers of entry for the USA. Things like safety, headlight and tail light specifications.

The designers may call this "not a car" - but if it is driven on roads and streets (as opposed to say golf courses or your back 40) it will have to meet the same sets of rules that apply to Ford 150s, Teslas and Toyota Camrys.
The designers may call this "not a car" - but if it is driven on roads and streets (as opposed to say golf courses or your back 40) it will have to meet the same sets of rules that apply to Ford 150s, Teslas and Toyota Camrys.

Not necessarily.
Those same roads have lots of motorcycles and other vehicles on them that do not meet the same set of rules that apply to pickups and sedans.
And there are rules in the US for LSV (low speed vehicles) and NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle).

But I'm guessing it is intended to go faster than 25mph - and if it does, I believe it will have to meet the same rules as a sedan.

The door at the front of the vehicle reminds me of a BMW Isetta.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I totally agree about a one-car household. I can't own this thing!

But I still think it is a great idea for URBAN settings, especially NOT in the US. Many of you are thinking about what America is like. I visited my daughter in Germany, lived for months at a time. They have a lot smaller cars there (although granted they really are cars). But this would be perfect for someone who wants a car but generally uses public transportation. They have a fabulous train system so they could easily own this for whenever they need a car.

Same thing with Asia. Heather lives in China and owns a scooter. I would rather see her in this than that scooter. She has a friend who was hit while on her scooter by someone pulling out fast from a driveway. She was messed up with broken arm, ankle, etc. It took her a whole year to recover (and I'm not sure really is completely healed to this day). Anyway, when all the vehicles are fairly small, being in this would probably save some of that risk from scooter riding.