No. of Recommendations: 1
Micron, STMicro, Renaus, and some other firm that slips my memory, have all indicated that they will be ramping their flash memory production and...

Hey Tinker

You probably mean Infineon or Samsung .(almost everyone is doing flash these days;)

I am just back from a few weeks Spain (preparing the big move), so catching up. So I will not comment too much on the SNDK flurry which seems to have erupted here, because I might duplicate what has been said.

Somehow I do not see SNDK primarily as a flash producer, but more like a systems producer (make a hd out of different components, i.e. flash). I know they have a cooperative production agreement, but wonder to which extent the IP is theirs or that of their suppliers.

Another force is the NOR flash (dominated by AMD(Spansion) and Intel ). The developments of technology are such that soon this type of more expensive flash (with slightly advanced functionality) can be made as cheaply as the present NAND flash (which is what we are talking about here). The capacity for this type of flash from both Spansion and Intel will most likely at least quadruple within the next year. This might throw a spanner in teh works of all those who are now converting dram capacity to (NAND) flash capacity, although the market is very very hungry for the stuff.

The semi industry is known for overinvesting in the in-vogue technology in a race for market share and then collapsing again temporarily. (that time has not yet come imo btw).

Cheers
Cor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.