No. of Recommendations: 0
This is pretty much my first post on these forums so try not to be too brutal with me :) I'm looking for some advice from you folks on how to best plan for retirmenet given my situation and how to plan my retirement investments. I'm going to give a lot of info up front as I expect you all will eventually want to know all this info anyways before giving me any type of advice. So here goes....

My background:
--------------
-26 years old
-Canadian citizen, relocated to USA for work
-Eventually want to move back to Canada before retirement, to ultimately retire in Canada

My current financial status:
----------------------------
-$200k mortgage on a $250k townhouse
-401k worth $44,100 as of today (Employer has full match up to max of 3%). I contribute 12% of my paycheck to this.
-Individual investment account worth $28,000. $5k in company stock from ESPP, $1k in NQI (municipal bond fund), and $23k in an individual transportation/engineering startup.

My 401k choices from my employer:
---------------------------------
-Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX)
-Fidelity Growth Company Fund (FDGRX)
-Fidelity Magellan Fund (FMAGX)
-Vanguard Value Index Fund Institutional Class (VIVIX)
-Vanguard Growth Index Fund Institutional Class (VIGIX)
-Vanguard Institutional Index Fund Plus Class (VIIIX)
-Artisan Mid Cap Inv CL (ARTMX)
-Managers Fremont Institutional U.S. Micro-Cap Fund Institutional Class (MIMFX)
-Royce Low-Priced Stock Inv CL (RYLPX)
-Fidelity Overseas Fund (FOSFX)
-ING International Value CL I (NIIVX)
-Oakmark Equity & Income CL I (OAKBX)
-Fidelity Intermediate Bond Fund (FTHRX)
-PIMCO Total Return Inst CL (PTTRX)
-Fidelity Money Market Trust: Retirement Money Market Portfolio (FRTXX)
-<My company's stock>

My current 401k contributions:
---------------------------
30% in Vanguard Value Index (VIVIX)
15% in Vanguard Inst Index Plus (VIIIX)
20% in MGRS FMT IS Microcap (MIMFX)
15% in INT INTL Value I (NIIVX)
20% in Oakmark Equity and Income I (OAKBX)

My current 401k distribution and balances:
------------------------------------------
20.88% MGRS FMT IS MICROCAP $9,206.58
18.49% OAKMARK EQ & INC I $8,154.89
17.21% VAN VALUE INDEX INST $7,588.49
14.03% VANG INST INDEX PLUS $6,185.34
11.92% FID OVERSEAS $5,256.30
8.55% <Company Stock> $3,772.05
4.85% VANG GRTH INDEX INST $2,140.02
4.07% ING INTL VALUE I $1,796.49

1) I'm primarily looking for some guidance on how to properly invest my 401k and how to choose the funds to invest in. Seems that common advice on here is to heavily invest in index funds for the majority of the 401k, but I wanted to validate that claim.

2) I think I may be investing in too many funds in my 401k and want to figure out if I should just make things simpler, and put 75% in 1 or 2 index funds (the vanguards) and split the other 25% in a mix of others.

3) My individual investment portfolio is a complete anomoly and goes against my better judgement really. I have too much tied up in that one engineering/transportation company, but they are a startup and I have made a whack of cash off of it. THey are poised to continue to grow at an exponential rate. I am planning on selling off about 50% of my holdings to diversify more.

4) I'm not quite sure how to balance the investments between my 401k and my individual investment account. Should I be striving for some overall plan between both or really consider them disjoint and invest each of them independant of each other?

I'm sure I"ll think of more questions as time goes on.. fire away! (try to be nice :))
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.