Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
(Market Cap = $292M)

INTRO Here's my semi-annual exercise to see if I remember why I won the stocks I own. I post it in case it helps others too.

American Superconductor is crossing the line between speculation to investment. They have products: wire, motors, and power managers, so they have revenues. They also are just enterring the markets and are already updating their offerings. The tough sell is that they are selling high-tech equipment based on superconductivity to an industry that has to be very conservative. I think that will succeed, but that conservatism will slow their acceptance. After they are accepted though, they have a good chance of sweeping through the industry.

The business is doing better than six months ago. My understanding of it was incorrect though. I thought they would replace the power lines that we see strung from tower to tower across the country. As I understand it now, and I could be wrong yet again, their cables replace those on and under the ground. This reduces my outlook, but not enough to make me sell. They are doing well with their cables, motors and power management units. I like the fact that they have more than one product line and am pleased that the offerings aren't too far away or already stale. I recently bought more, prior to my insight about the overhead cables, so I suspect that I won't buy more unless I find some new insight and some new cash.

DISCLAIMER LTBH since 2003 and bought more this year. I will HOLD because I over-estimated their potential revenues, but continue to like their existing product strategy.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.