Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Mike -

403b accounts are limited, by law, to annuities & mutual funds! You may select a variable annuity or a 403b(7) custodial account with a mutual fund family for your retirement plan.

HOWEVER, your employer-sponsored plan may have rules that do not permit you to pick your own vendor... Most likely the employer has picked a vendor to provide retirement savings plans for the employees. Unless you leave the job you'll need to participate in the plan to save via payroll deduction (and get match money).

You MAY be able to make "partial" withdrawals/transfers via Rev. Ruling 90-24, if permitted by your employers plan document. Seek help from a qualified financial advisor on this matter...

Good luck, PP
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.