Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 12
Mike,

If you want to leave all your money to your neighbor's cat, that's your call. I just love my little guy so much that I want to leave him rich. If I can somehow cut the Revenue Canada out of the picture too, I'm all for it. My boy has given me more joy in three years than the government has given me in 43 years.

There are various charities that could use my money as well. I'd rather die knowing my dough is going to the boy and some worthy cause than die knowing the taxman is doing fine.

So ... there is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving all your money to Uncle Sam and if there is nothing left after that for anyone to inherit. It is your money, you earned it, you do what you want with it. It is at the opposite end of the spectrum compared with my thinking, but it's a free country, isn't it? Waste your money if you want, as long as you don't try to get me to follow your example.

The last thing I would want to do is tell anyone how they should spend their money, now or after they are gone.

The government has provided me with my freedom, my safety, my streets, my roads, my schools, my local parks, my national parks, and my historical landmarks to name just a few.

I am sure your son has provided you more joy and will continue to do so than the government. If you wish to work longer or live on less money than you need, or perhaps you just have a lot "extra" than I can understand completely why you would want to give any money you do not use to him, after you are gone. I wouldn't call that wasting your money.

I don't think you're in a position to tell me I'd be wasting mine. If you feel that giving the government more than you have already provided in taxes is wasting I won't waste my time arguing with you, for some I am sure it is.

I am thankful to be able to drive a car on our streets, swing on the park swings, smell a flower, hug a tree. I'm glad that if I am ever robbed I don't have to pay "extra" to have the police search for the theif. I'm glad a fireman will not first find out if I have the money to pay him before he rescues me from a burning building.

I'm glad strangers have served and died in our military for my freedom and I can think of no better charity than to provide retirement benefits for their families they have left behind.

You're right, it's my call.

e
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.