Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
....and will let us know what's up.

Cheers!
Murph
BL Home Fool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 20
Sorry everyone, Yahoo has changed its historical prices download methods again and it looks like my downloads were inconsistently working, and less and less so over time.

I found a new software library that is up to date for doing efficient Yahoo downloads and have just worked it into the BMW charting software. It's currently running and charts should update overnight.

Thanks for all the wishes, and hope you all are well also.

(We were on vacation last week so I didn't see the missing prices last week, and just got to fixing it for this week)

-Mike
No. of Recommendations: 6
There are not enough "thanks" to reward the AWESOME amount of work you have done to benefit your fellow Fools over the decade+, Mike!

You are the penultimate Fool; helping others and sharing your knowledge!

Hats Off to you, my Friend!

Cheers!
Murph
No. of Recommendations: 2
I second Murph!
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Mike,

Sorry to be a pain, but I still can't pull up any charts. I deleted cookies and closed my browser. Opened a new browser and your site but when I click on 30-yr charts or 25-yr charts, I get "none".

Just curious...do you still use the BMW method in any form? I wonder how many do? I wonder if BMW/Jim does?! Ever hear from him?

Thanks again for everything,

Kathy
No. of Recommendations: 7
Hi Kathy, no problem... as I mentioned, the charts will update overnight. Back about 2 years ago I had to way slow down the downloading process because Yahoo would throttle the data after a while. You might remember that the first stocks in the list had data but part way through the alphabet there was no data.

So now it takes about 8-10 hours to download to avoid throttling.

After that charts are generated and uploaded to the BMW web site. So, if you can wait until tomorrow (or really late tonight), the charts should all be available again.

I look at the charts once in a while to add a data point to other methods for finding and evaluating stocks. I looked at them back in 3/20 when there was a market drop at the start of the pandemic, and found that oil & gas stocks were particularly badly hit, so I bought some oil & gas ETFs which have done really well. I do use them here and there. Haven't heard from Jim in many years.

-Mike
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Kathy!

I am able to access the charts just fine today...weird!

Cheers!
Murph
BL Home Fool
No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi Kathy!

I am able to access the charts just fine today...weird!

The charts updated at about 11:30 pm last night (Pacific time).

I see there are some warning messages sprinkled in, so a few symbols may be missing or have missing data. Will clean up later.

-Mike
Used my iPad tonight and could get the page…with those errors you mentioned. Weird. Tomorrow, I’ll reboot my pc and see if that helps there.

Thanks again Mike!
Hi Mike…. Looks like the charts are completely down. Not sure if you knew.

MR
Hi MR, I checked yesterday and today and everything seems to be OK. Are you able to access the charts?

-Mike
Hi Mike!

I just tried to access then and here is what I got:

Error 520 Ray ID: 6b8dde98e8713715 • 2021-12-05 14:12:27 UTC
Web server is returning an unknown error

You
Browser
Working

Miami
Cloudflare
Working

invest.kleinnet.com
Host
Error

Cheers...and Happy Holidays to you and yours!!
Murph
Works fine for me

https://invest.kleinnet.com/bmw1/xref.html

and from there to all the charts

Denny Schlesinger
Good for me now, too, Denny!

Cheers!
Murph
No. of Recommendations: 9
Good for me now, too, Denny!

Cheers!
Murph

Good to see everything is working, hopefully for everyone. I did not find any problem myself, so hope that it has resolved itself. Given the volume of attacks on servers everywhere, the systems in place to reduce their impact have made everything a little more complex. As you saw, Murph, accessing invest.kleinnet.com doesn't go directly there but the access is intercepted by Cloudflare which blocks attacks. If a user's computer had a stale DNS mapping then it could have caused the issues shown.

Anyway, best wishes to everyone and a happy holiday season!

-Mike
No. of Recommendations: 1
Right back atcha Mike!

You are a super Fool in my book!

Cheers!
Murph
BL Home Fool