No. of Recommendations: 0
Mike:

<<My frustration is that there is still $69 on the Sears bill and she doesn't
want to pay it down ASAP. In fact she let the bill lapse and was charged a
$20 late fee with $49 on it.

Can I say anything? I have but her response was that she has so much going
on right now, do we have to talk about it now.

Should I pay it off? No, this will lead to an argument about me not trusting
her to handle money. Besides, I have paid off her debts previously, and
think I have set a bad precedent by doing so.>>

Mike:

First question, does your household run on the basis of "her money" and "his money", or is it "our money"? If its "our" of course you can say something because keeping opinions bottled up inside will just make things worse because it will eventually come out in anger. Try to approach the subject calmly WITH NO BLAMING. I'm sure that intellectually this issue is as important to your wife as it is to you, but old habits do die hard, so actually practicing your "foolishness" may take a little time.

In my family one person takes care of the finances. We find it easier because there is no guessing who is responsible for which bill, who balanced the check book last etc. We like to think that a couple is supposed to give 50/50 to the relationship, but that is rarely the case. Sometimes I can only give 20, and Brent knows that then he needs to pick up the slack, and sometimes we are both giving 150 at the same time! Thats when a marriage really glows. You mentioned your wife is busy. Maybe she's feeling overwhelmed right now and she would appreciate a non-judgemental hand from you. Heck, I've let cc bills sit too long on my desk and it is a stupid mistake. If my husband came into the office and saw a past due bill laying unopened he could do 2 things. 1: Respond with "honey, that bill needs paid now! You just threw $20 away on a late charge and it will show up on your credit report!" That may be the truth, but I'd probably kill him.
2. Respond with: " honey, you've been so busy with work and the kids, I noticed the paper tiger on your desk keeps growing. Do you want some help with it? Maybe I could help you catch up, or at least cook dinner and watch the kids so you can have some quiet office time." This is what I would want to hear.

Disclaimer: I feel funny giving someone personal advise but you kind of asked for it, and this is 100% a womans perspective.

Aloha, Karen

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.