Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Mike,

Some of life's lessons:

1. Avoid hotel rooms near elevators and ice machines

2. Never ask a woman when she is due

3. Do not overpay for growth

To learn more about lesson #3, I call your attention to this excellent article by Morningstar's Haywood Kelly:

http://news.morningstar.com/doc/article/0,1,143859,00.html?_QSBPA=Y&pgid=seo

In a sentence, few companies are able to grow at high rates for long, Kelly finds. Therefore, do not habitually pay a high multiple of future earnings.

You are welcome to share your assumptions on Blue Nile (NILE). This discussion board welcomes variant perspectives, and it also welcomes opinions supported by sound analytical reasoning.

A few weeks ago I read a story on the culture at Google (GOOG). One item that made an impression was how new hires quickly learn that saying "I think..." is the equivalent of asking a woman if she is pregnant. Don't do it. Instead, say, "The facts suggest..."

Let's all try (me especially!) for lots of "the facts suggest..." comments on this site in 2006.

Hewitt

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.