Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mike,
Thanks a million for that link. I had seen it earlier when you pried it out of New York Stew over at SI. Thanks very much for that also. I read the link and listened to the conference call. I assume you heard about and perhaps listened to the conference call. If you haven't it was posted by Joe6Pack on the Gemstar board here at the Fool. Just an 800 phone number. I don't know if it's available anywhere on the web.

<<<Regardless, what would you like to be openly discussed by Gemstar that hasn't been explained?>>

My concern here Mike is whether or not Gemstar will be allowed to continue to function as an independent company and market the IPG and e-books to any and all companies willing to ante up the fees. This is why I am a Gemstar shareholder. I want Gemstar to be able to freely sell their intellectual property to everyone. If you listen to the conference call it sounds like Rupert Murdoch is in love with the IPG and the e-book idea. Deeply in love. He sounds very excited about the security features of the ebooks especially. these security features are something Tinker had pointed out before.
So my concern is will Murdoch try to gain some advantage for the other entities he owns by somehow restricting the use of either the IPG or e-books? So far... based on what was said in the conference call... he seems to want to accelerate the rollout of the IPG and e-books using his international platforms. Great! So perhaps he will be just another contented shareholder and customer of Gemstar. That would be excellent. And that looks like how it's going so far. Still it worries me that somone with all these interests that are not directly aligned with our interests as shareholders of Gemstar now controls our company. So far everything seems fine. There's a fox in the henhouse... but everyones decided to peacefully co-exist. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the weeks ahead bring. Thanks again for your help Mike. I really appreciate it.
Glenn
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.