Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1

Very true. The IRS will catch the errors and ask for payment eventually. The question is on the interest and penalties. We do not know if the IRS will forgive some penalties and interest because of their delay in processing and checking.

If you have a significant dollar change you may want to file an amended return.
This could eliminate interest and penalties. It could also get you a refund if due sooner.

The IRS just last week released new 1040-X forms and instructions.

The 1040-X just released can be used for multiple years including 2020 returns if you already filed 2020.

Tax software companies are updating their software packages between Feb 24 and middle of March to allow filing of some of the amended returns.

1040-X -
1040-X instructions -
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.