Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
MIL has a couple of years before she hits 70 1/2. She works at a university and asked me recently what I thought she should do once she is forced to start taking minimum distributions from her 403b retirement plan.

I am pretty sure that some 403B plans allow you to defer RMD while you remain employed. I encourage you to help her find out by viewing her Summary Plan Description.

Is there any way to put off taking the hit on taxes? I am fairly certain that she cant roll over distributions into an IRA, etc, especially as I believe they are above all the limits for traditional IRA anyway. She is already maxing out her 403b.

There is no way to minimize the tax hit if she has to take the RMD (beyond create other unecessary deductions like extra charitable contributions). Rolling it to an IRA won't change anything - and she absolutely has to take RMD from an IRA. Rollovers are not the same as contributions so her ability to roll it is not restricted by her current income. Many if not most employers allow you to roll out of your current plan, even while working, at age 59 1/2 or 65.

My recommendation is for her to seek the advice of a tax professional. She might even benefit from converting some from her 403b to a Roth but that is a question that would take a lot more information.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.