Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
mile011 wrote:

During the Association for Computing Machinery conference, academics and engineers blame IT workers for the technology industry's dysfunctional state.

http://news.excite.com/news/zd/010314/07/scientists-engineers-rail

This is a very interesting post. There is no doubt that computers will have to be made with a more intuitive interface and it is happening, albeit slowly.

But it never ceases to amaze me that the most critical (and often snotty) comments on society and technology come from "University-types." Profs are some of the most insulated, protected, and arrogant people in any given field. Their criticism takes on the "insider" tee-hee, look at what these idiots are doing (or not doing) now approach.

Let me clarify that. While not an educator, I worked for a large school system as an administrator and staff member for nearly a decade. At conventions, the university presenters had all the answers on how programs, curriculum, and management could or should be improved. Yet, aside from the lab schools on site, most had NEVER taught elementary or high school. They had never been in the trenches. But, boy, could they criticize! It's easy to take potshots when it's not you doing the work!

Many of the comments in the article you cited have that same ring to them.

I loved college. I loved many of my profs. But when I got out I realized they were not the gods I once believed them to be. In many cases, they were out of touch with the "real" world.

Disclaimer: I have taught on a part time basis a two universities and one large community college. So, I did see both sides.

Rant over... Whoops.

No it's not.

But then again I would not ask these guys what clothes should I wear either.

Great point! Although if I needed a pocket protector they're the ones I would go to for a recommendation.

2ndMillion
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.