Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
Today, February 2nd , is Groundhog Day. This is also the title of a movie, starring Bill Murray, where, as a reporter covering Groundhog Day, he finds himself living in a time-warp where each day is February 2nd.

Today, February 2nd , is Groundhog Day. This is also the title of a movie, starring Bill Murray, where, as a reporter covering Groundhog Day, he finds himself living in a time-warp where each day is February 2nd.

MichaelR

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
It's a time-honored science fiction plot device. Often, the doomed is condemned to repeat a period of time until he corrects the errors of his ways. Sort of like a well-known Feste Award nominee, or a gracious and personable actress named Susan.

Alternately, there's no bad karma to repair, we are just presented with a sad and ironic look into the life of some unfortunate, often with a bit of seeding about alternate universes and the unfathomable complexities of Einstein's brushy mustache.

Bill Murray couldn't hold Robbie the Robot's oil can.

Richard
No. of Recommendations: 4
Bill Murray couldn't hold Robbie the Robot's oil can.

Richard

Them's fighting words so get your dukes up. Murray is a Canadian and this Canadian thinks Murray – even though he has fewer acting styles than Robbie – is a national treasure on par with Banff, the Rockies, and Victoria's Empress Hotel (even though these three have greater acting styles than Murray).

Then there's Robbie's drinking problem: a couple of shots of 10W40 and he's singing bawdy songs about pistons pumping and gears meshing; Murray with a couple of shots in him talks about how all things have gone downhill since Meatballs. You chose which one is the more interesting dinner date.

Plus, let's get real, Robbie is a man in a tin suit while Bill Murray's suit contains, er, okay, Bill Murray.

Spencer Tracy, a fine actor, once said that acting is easy – just don't let people catch you doing it. Bill Murray exemplifies that by never having been caught acting in his entire career. Once someone said they caught Murray acting but it was later found to be jock itch.

Know how to get Robbie P.O.'d? Say his mother's a coffee urn and his father a Stillson wrench. Blows a fuse every time.

And, while I have you grabbed by the collar: Ms Lucci will shortly have a star on the Hollywood Walk and Fame. So there!

MichaelR

No. of Recommendations: 2
where each day is February 2nd

That would be just dandy! I was born under the watchful eye of Punxsutawney Phil and took yesterday off. Repeating the day I had yesterday, everyday, would suit me just fine :)

Bogey
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hey, happy belated! What was that, about 57? ;)
I was born under the watchful eye of Punxsutawney Phil and took yesterday off.

Happy Belated Barf-Day Bogey!!!

ßillƒ
Them's fighting words so get your dukes up. Murray is a Canadian and this Canadian thinks Murray – even though he has fewer acting styles than Robbie – is a national treasure on par with Banff, the Rockies, and Victoria's Empress Hotel (even though these three have greater acting styles than Murray).

Ok, I'll grant you he's rocky, probably secretly dresses like Victoria, and wastes consonants. But with so few national treasures, you would think that Anne would have retained Murray, and Bill would be called something like Meathead.

Spencer Tracy, a fine actor

Had to be, getting stuck with Kate all those years. Talk about the ability to turn grapes to raisens...

And, while I have you grabbed by the collar: Ms Lucci will shortly have a star on the Hollywood Walk and Fame. So there!

Yes, there is something to be said for longevity and durability, hence the popularity of Consumer Reports.

As for your comments about Robbie, go watch Forbidden Planet again. His subtle use of nuance, sarcasm, and hyperbole totally outclassed Leslie Nielsen (another Canadian treasure), who oddly played his part straight. I guess he knew he couldn't compete. As for his drinking problem, I blame it on the Krell.

[Note: We have just been informed by his agent that his name is actually spelled "Robby", and we apologize for any confusion.]

Richard
As for your comments about Robbie, go watch Forbidden Planet again. His subtle use of nuance, sarcasm, and hyperbole totally outclassed Leslie Nielsen (another Canadian treasure), who oddly played his part straight. I guess he knew he couldn't compete. As for his drinking problem, I blame it on the Krell.

[Note: We have just been informed by his agent that his name is actually spelled "Robby", and we apologize for any confusion.]

Richard

I believe that Robby altered his name to Robbie to show more of his feminine side (not that there's anything wrong with that) following EST training from Werner Erhardt who himself took this to yet another step and became Susan Lucci.

Oh, sure, blame the Krell, why not. They got blamed for everything else. Yet it was Robby that chose to hoist canned 10w40 (best thing since sliced silicon) and went downhill to where his is now: knocking back synthetics. He's now on the GMC 12-Step Program where he's realizing there is a higher power: Mr. Goodwrench.

I have a copy of Forbidden Planet on laserdisc. A dated technology but still suitable for Robby who, let's face it, is also a dated technology and that's why he's hanging around garages looking for spare change and offering to drain the dregs from oil changes.

Sad, isn't it? Once cutting edge and then replaced by a GE toaster. Jack Elam, a fine actor, said there are four stages in an actor's life; 'Who is Jack Elam?'; 'Get me Jack Elam'; 'Get me someone like Jack Elam'; and 'Who is Jack Elam?” Now it's at the latter stage: 'Who is Robby the Robot?” Many reading this thread, Richard, haven't the slightest idea who Robby is. As I said, sad.

I was in the kitchen last night, holding a colander, and I said, “Alas, poor Robbie, I knew thee well.” At that point Elly locked the bar fridge but my point was made: Sic transic Robby.

MichaelR

I realize we are getting closer to announcing The Feste Award winner but can you hurry it up a bit: I am running out of Robby jokes and I'm falling back on old stuff such as Robby's exterior fascia is made of old Coca Cola signs.

I believe that Robby altered his name to Robbie to show more of his feminine side (not that there's anything wrong with that) following EST training from Werner Erhardt who himself took this to yet another step and became Susan Lucci.

That would explain the almost career-ending decision to accept that role in Lost in Space, even though it required some alterations at a Beverly Hills makeover factory. Some have opined that it cost him the job of Maximilian in The Black Hole (http://www.toymania.com/334archives/black/max.htm), but serious students of the genre doubt he could have pulled it off anyway, since Betty Ford hadn't been invented yet, and he did suffer from terminal cuteness even when falling down drunk. But his reliance on hackneyed plot devices "Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" was probably his greatest sin, outside of that unfortunate incident with June Lockhart that even the Hollywood Snooperoo wouldn't publish. How they even managed to get into that position we will probably never know.

At that point Elly locked the bar fridge but my point was made: Sic transic Robby.

Oh, she had unlocked it then? Such an optimist :)

Richard
No. of Recommendations: 5
Well, Richard, it's down to you and me as in 'It's a quarter to three; there's no one in the place but you and me; so set 'em up, Joe' scenario. In the, what is it, two or three weeks or so before the announcement of who gets The Feste Award, there's barely enough traffic to keep interest. This must change.

If TMF is to be a destination attracting talent (and it has shown it can) then that aspect must be promoted. The list of nominees for The Feste, but for the Susan Lucci candidate (which may be one of the longer running gags at TMF), are those having considerable talent in their fields and, using WonderPup as an example, communicators par excellence. And yet this draw is not promoted sufficiently.

It was a good stroke to create The Feste Award yet if it is to mean something it has to be infused with more than having a selection of posters suitable for it. The Feste has to be hammered as an epitome for which considerable kudos are given. The Feste Award has to mean something and more meaning has to be given to The Feste. This may come about as time passes yet only if The Feste is given an impetus.

The importance of The Feste Award can be enhanced by several means. Could TMF have, on it's front page of the boards, a separate link to those posts made by The Feste Award winner? Could just being nominated to The Feste Award be rewarded by a lifetime membership to TMF?

What I am saying is that The Feste needs hype.

I subscribe to several discussion boards, mostly in the field of boating which is my love, yet I return to TMF because, to my mind, the only place where I can express myself as I want to. TMF wants subscribers unlike other discussion places where topping another is rampant and rudeness is equally unchecked. My mind: to win The Feste should be that accolade to which no other discussion board can match.

If The Feste is to mean anything it must be made to mean something. The very act of an announcement The Feste Awards is about to be should elicit fervor.

MichaelR

No. of Recommendations: 6
Charley: Any list which includes Mishedlo - Michael Shedlock - is tainted ...

Mish is outspoken about his politics - as are you - and he makes no bones about his opinions of others - and neither do you. Both of you see great evil and danger in the world, though of course in different places. You are both highly skilled at character assassination, and you both take great delight in rhetorical overkill.

Charley, please: the next time you feel convulsed with hatred for someone else, restrain yourself from posting for a little while. Take a hot tub, or a long shower. Take a long and careful look in the mirror. Wait for calm to return.

Perhaps you haven't considered how your words reflect upon your own character. Think about it - is this really the impression you wish to leave? Who is hurt the worse, your target or yourself?

This is painful to watch.

Loren
What I am saying is that The Feste needs hype.

You may be right there, or not. My marketing skills are legendary in their absense. But the source of the impetus is somewhat ambiguous. If the award means anything, it's because the community says it does. We certainly want to see the community praises sung by all and sundry, and we are more than happy to bellow out a tune of our own from time to time, however.

I don't see anything wrong at all with lifetime memberships for nominees, or a link on the boards index page trumpeting the winner. That's up to the Captain, though, I'm just the ABS.

Richard
Charley, please: the next time you feel convulsed with hatred for someone else, restrain yourself from posting for a little while. Take a hot tub, or a long shower. Take a long and careful look in the mirror. Wait for calm to return.

Perhaps you haven't considered how your words reflect upon your own character. Think about it - is this really the impression you wish to leave? Who is hurt the worse, your target or yourself?

This is painful to watch.

Loren

++++++++

Providing "fair warning" to others is a service.
Pointing out the nonsense contained in posts is a good thing. You have attempted it here - but you missed the point entirely. I merely noted that it was about the same as including Idi Amin on a list of great humanitarians.

Of course, the censor has deleted the post - to protect their friends. Censors are like that.

Regards
Charley
No. of Recommendations: 7
Of course, the censor has deleted the post - to protect their friends. Censors are like that.

I think that more likely it's because you got lost. This is the Feste board, not Political Asylum, or any of the other "I hate everyone who disagrees with me" boards.

In other words, they're trying to keep this board friendly. If you can post in a friendly manner, no doubt your posts will stand. Spitting hatred and venom doesn't go over big around here.

Nancy
In other words, they're trying to keep this board friendly. If you can post in a friendly manner, no doubt your posts will stand. Spitting hatred and venom doesn't go over big around here.

Nancy

++++++++

Keeping it friendly and an honor seemed to be some of the points made by the original poster of the thread.
I agreed with his motive and suggestion.
I only noted that nominating the a vituperative individual for the award makes a mockery of the purpose. Spitting hatred and venom seems to be a sure way to be eligible for a Feste Nomination. Throwing around descriptions of those who disagree as Liar or Moron or Both is the favorite term used by the nominee. Combined with his forgetfulness about his own errors, it makes him quite a wonderful representative for The Motley Fool.

Evidently you find it admirable also.

Regards
Charley

No. of Recommendations: 6

Nancy

Ahhh! Dissention is a form of marketing (“It's a floor wax!” “No it isn't, it's a dessert.”) and, as in my post to Twitty saying more razzmatazz is needed, a means to increase the hoopla surrounding The Feste Carpe diem.

Time now to splash this across TMF in banner headlines:

'Posts zapped at Feste as tempers flare. Film at eleven. Planet Xeenu becomes repository of spitted hatred and venom.'

'Un-named poster says that un-named Feste nominee is un-nameable for the Award. Unidentifiable film at eleven.'

'Can the Feste be saved from being lost in a haze of smut? Phlegm at eleven.'

And what could be my favorite:

Susan Lucci threatens TMFTwitty with beating if her man Michael is shut out of The Feste Award. Fists at eleven.'

Whatever, that there's dissention is not a bad thing even though this here isn't PA, or, as I call it, 'The Land of Grayed-Out Posts'. When I found that one nominee was a gray person I shrugged. Life is full of surprises. Life is also full of prizes also but not all get them.

As for this dissenting poster these words: if you write in such a manner that this board expects. i.e., with some literati leaning, your posts won't be pulled. You could have said, “If you're going to give him a berth, make it a wide one,” and everyone would understand.

Saying %^#$&)(@#_$)_@ isn't the way.

Peace.

MichaelR

Peace.

MichaelR

Farout, Michael - You're an alright guy!!

Bob <- just happy not to get suspended, again. %^#$&)(@#_$)_@ ~ ~
No. of Recommendations: 3
Evidently you find it admirable also.

I'm terribly sorry, perhaps it's the fact that I'm posting without caffeine, but I can't recall anything in my original post that said that I liked or admired the poster you are referring to, or that I had supported his nomination for the Feste Award, or anything else remotely relating to the matter.

I was referring to your post, the one that was pulled. I read it, and you expressed extreme hostility in an unpleasant manner. Since I don't read the posts of the person you referred to, I have no idea whether this is his normal posting manner or not.

I do note that gaps in logic appears (based on what I've read here) to be your own preferred posting style.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Nancy
I must say, I am very disappointed that my annual "That list sucks" post was deleted... not so much for myself as for my fans, who always look forward to it.

swimdad, disappointed

No. of Recommendations: 0
In fact, this whole situation has really put a damper on the Feste festivities for the swimdad nation.

swimdad
nation,

OCD: tribe
OCD: tribe

Gimme a break, buddy. I'm angling for a comp.

swimdad

P.S. Not that they're giving comps this year.
P.P.S. Which they aren't.

I do note that gaps in logic appears (based on what I've read here) to be your own preferred posting style.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Nancy

+++++++++

When you find something that I have written that you cannot logically follow,
Please inform me so tht I can help you with your understanding.

Now, isn't that logical?

Regards
Charley

Is this the Feste Award still?

Just checkin' because, it sounds more like The Feisty awards these days.

We are still waiting for the results, right?

Tell us a joke MR.

KEZ
Tell us a joke MR.

KEZ

+++++++

Jokes are supposed to go on the HURL Board.

The Sheriff will certainly issue a citation for "off topic" posts.
And be applauded by the small band of sycophants who await his pronouncements.

Regards
Charley

Jokes are supposed to go on the HURL Board.

The Sheriff will certainly issue a citation for "off topic" posts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK!

How 'bout....

There once was a feste winner from Nantucket,
who's votes where placed in a big bucket.
He said with a grin,
as he wiped off his chin
I'm droolin' cuz I'm happy to have won it.

Yeah! I know. L*A*M*E, but, at least it ain't nasty!

:o)

KEZ (waiting for results. waiting, waiting, waiting)
... but, at least it ain't nasty!

dangit ~ ~

Bob <- sycophant - also uses webdings and windings fonts, too, sometimes ~ ~