Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Can someone who is drawing military retirement pay and VA disability tell me if their military retirement is reduced by the amount they receive from the VA?

Thanks,
arahfool
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes, it is. I am an example of this.

let's say my Military retirement pay is $3,000/month (round numbers). But I have a 30% service connected disability. So $400 of my military retirement pay will come from the VA and $2,600 from the DoD (actually DFAS). The VA portion is not includable in my taxable income but the full $2,600 retirement pay from DFAS is ordinary income for which I get a 1099R. And I have no idea how the $400 in VA disability is calculated.

The other benefit of the VA disability is I am authorized to get my health care through the VA. Now, I get my day-to-day care through my Medicare Advantage plan, but I make it a point to schedule an annual appointment with the VA just to keep my tie to them active...and I really like exchanging war stories with my VA doctor :-)

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have no idea how the $400 in VA disability is calculated.

Determining one's monthly VA Disability Compensation is quite simple. It's a table lookup using your VA combined disability rating plus the number of adult dependents over the age of 18 and dependent children under the age of 18 that you support.

Determining one's combined disability rating is the difficult part. The following URL explains the process of arriving at one's combined disability rating.

https://www.va.gov/disability/about-disability-ratings/
Yes, it is or should be. I don't know if that rule changes with a greater degree of disability. Have 20% and is removed from my military retirement check. Great news is doing so removes it from taxation! I've been retired for 12 years but if I remember correctly, it took awhile it to set up. All of that happened behind the scenes and didn't require me to file anything!

Thank you for your service and good luck.🇺🇸