Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Exact Sciences may still be showing a loss on a year to year basis, but revenue from screenings is growing substantially. In a recent press release, the big plateau number of one million screenings in a year was achieved in 2018. http://investor.exactsciences.com/investor-relations/press-r...

What investors need to know is that this number is a combination of new and returning screening customers. The Cologuard test is an alternative to having a colonoscopy, and is recommended on a three year cycle. This means that the new base for 2021 is now closer to one million returning customers instead of all new customers.

I don't expect that those numbers will play out so simplistically. What I do expect is that the number of tests will grow yearly for the foreseeable future. Combining returning customers with an expanding base of new customers is the validation in the market for this product. It may not take too long to get to the billion dollar gross sales platform along with achieving profitability. That would be at somewhere around 2.2 MM tests a year if I have the math right.

And currently, the test is only being offered in the United States.

Full disclosure - I had trimmed some of my holdings in EXAS because it made up too big of a percentage of my investments by value. It still is my largest investment by value, although it is no longer my largest investment by initial cost. And yes, I am considering buying again at these prices.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.