No. of Recommendations: 3
Mind if I ramble? I was an early reader and had a library card at about the time I started school. My parents guided me to the children’s classics and that’s what I read. Then, at about nine or so I was in a bookstore and spent a whole shilling on an ‘adult’ book. It was John Campbell’s Who Goes There?. Speculative science fiction. You may remember it as the movie The Thing.

I have a phrase “How long has this been going on and how come nobody told me about it?” Fishing was one and reading other than books with pictures was another. Sure, my decision to read science-fiction (later, in Canada, spending all my allowance at 35 cents per copy of Amazing and others) was derided as indulging in pulp but, to me, that’s where the exciting reading and writing was. It fed a hunger I didn’t know I had.

The result? I could say that initial exposure contributed to my catholic reading regimen: oh, hell, let’s read it and find out what. Rarely have I not finished a book. Yes, some were a waste of time and I then didn’t follow up on that author yet there have been times when reading a novel I have sat back and said I want more of that writer. So much more that I hie down to a bookstore (increasingly more electronically) and buy up all by that author.

The result of that? Shelves of books. When someone comes to visit they see shelves and shelves and say, “Have you read all of these?” I have two replies: “Yes, some of them twice,” and “Hell, no\. I buy them by the yard for decoration.” Depends on who’s asking.

I have to amend one statement. I have never wasted time reading. Okay, time could be better spent yet reading this and that teaches and I learn.

Still think one of the best pieces of writing included: “Shut up,” he explained.”

MichaelR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.