Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mine is one of the embroidery machines. I love it for regular sewing, and I love the built-in fonts for embroidery.

So how much embroidering do you do? My machine is actually the first one that New Home did that could embroider, and I found I did it a couple of times, but that was about it. Of course, it was fairly limited in capability, although advanced for its time, and I didn't want to have to deal with doing patterns in pieces and getting the set-up just right each time it would have needed to be moved.

I remember doing some Christmas ornaments, and I did make DS an amazing blazer with a very nice nautical pocket, thanks to the embroidering capability of my machine.

I used to sew a lot of clothing, and still do special things like cocktail dresses, but I've moved more to things like quilts and tote bags (I've made this one http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/professional-tote/ about a dozen times, and highly recommend it) and wallets and such.

Depending on what happens with my machine, I may get a new one now, or wait some more as I really do like my machine. But I've had the current machine for 25 years (got it while the kids were actually still in the hospital), and am thinking that my next machine will be my last as I expect to get a similar life.

I've already warned DH about the price tag of one of these, but he has been pushing me to get a long arm, and those are ridiculous. I am happy with quilting on my sewing machine, but it isn't lost on me that quilting is a whole lot easier on the newer machines, and so spending more to get some of that functionality is fine, particularly as I wouldn't need to add a long arm to the collection (I have a serger already).

Thanks for the comments.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.