No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm now the owner of Two Canon MiniDV camcorders, neither of which work. They have the same problems millions of them had, some tape loading problems, some Ejecting message issues that never go away.

Regardless. I have tons of old tapes that I need to get into a saved format. I've done the repair bit, getting an older one off the net. I know it costs about $8 or more each to get a tape transferred. Pretty sure I'd be about $800 plus into whomever did that.

Anyone have a minidv camcorder lying around they want to sell, that works?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Ebay could be a possibility... Has a wide choice of used miniDV cameras... Certainly could have an element of risk, but may be worth the risk

Mick
Interesting you mention that Mick, as I just ordered another one this morning from there. Now I have 3 ;)

The second one Amazon refunded my money and said keep it. (trash is ready).

Now I have to decide how to do the import should I get a working unit. I've been told the newer iMovie HD does not support .dv formats. My Macbook has the older (2008) iMovie, but alas, no firewire. Maybe I'll have to get my old G5 imac out of the box and rev it up again.
Now I have to decide how to do the import should I get a working unit. I've been told the newer iMovie HD does not support .dv formats. My Macbook has the older (2008) iMovie, but alas, no firewire. Maybe I'll have to get my old G5 imac out of the box and rev it up again.\

Are you hearing rumors that a near-future version of iMovie will drop .dv support? I'd be surprised and a bit upset, though if it were true, I'd expect FCPX to retain .dv support for professionals and prosumers.

iMovie '11 (Version 9.0.8) certainly imports from MiniDV and HDV camcorders via FireWire. I just did it recently on my 2011 Mac Mini via FW400 to FW800. If you save the file as Large format, instead of Full Resolution (or whatever it's called), in order to save a lot of disk space when using high definition, the resulting file is converted to .mov format, but I have a lot of older .dv format files (from an earlier, pre-HD MiniDV camcorder) that work just fine in iMovie '11.

I suppose, if I had a lot more disk space, I'd make it a project to offload all my .dv content in full resolution in order to preserve it and back it up. I love HDV, and I'm not a big fan of AVCHD format, given the compression artifacts that can be visible even to my non-professional eye. However, I appreciate the ability to archive the full movie contents of my flash memory cards to disk relatively easily.

-awlabrador
iMovie '11 (Version 9.0.8) certainly imports from MiniDV and HDV camcorders via FireWire. I just did it recently on my 2011 Mac Mini via FW400 to FW800. If you save the file as Large format, instead of Full Resolution (or whatever it's called), in order to save a lot of disk space when using high definition, the resulting file is converted to .mov format, but I have a lot of older .dv format files (from an earlier, pre-HD MiniDV camcorder) that work just fine in iMovie '11.

I suppose, if I had a lot more disk space, I'd make it a project to offload all my .dv content in full resolution in order to preserve it and back it up. I love HDV, and I'm not a big fan of AVCHD format, given the compression artifacts that can be visible even to my non-professional eye. However, I appreciate the ability to archive the full movie contents of my flash memory cards to disk relatively easily.

I was speaking to the native raw .dv format. I've read where Live Capture Plus can do this, but iMovie will add some compression.
I was speaking to the native raw .dv format. I've read where Live Capture Plus can do this, but iMovie will add some compression.

Then that goes beyond what I know with certainty. That is, it looks to me like iMovie '11 can handle the .dv format just fine, but whether Apple adds compression during .dv import, I don't know. I can't imagine why they would do this without allowing the option of importing without such compression. The availability of "large" resolution importing vs. "full resolution" implies to me that disk space savings is intended to be provided by the large import option, implying that "full" resolution importing applies no compression.

If you have a link in which someone shows such compression taking place, I'd be very interested to read it. I might consider doing a comparison myself.

-awlabrador