Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi there,
I have been living, working and paying tax etc in the UK for many years now although I am a US Citizen. I have purchased a large number of US Equities over the last couple of years and would like to sell them this year to purchase a boat in the US. If I do this within the UK I will be liable to 40% capital gains tax bill, on all sales over a nominal amount. I believe - after reading your article today - that this would be greatly reduced, if I moved back to the US and became a resident tax-paying Citizen. Would I not be eligible to pay either 10% or 20% on the capital gains?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.