Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Usually questions whether to invest in a company have to do with that company's production of alcohol, tobacco, or potential pollution. Here's a news item on another ethical issue, support of minority businesses by Johnson Controls:

http://www.marketwatch.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=Codoh0bWbrevusdaXmG&FQ=diversity&Title=Headlines%20for%3A%20diversity%0A

I knew there were lots of reasons to like this company....
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
"Support of minority businesses" is not a reason to
own a company. If the businesses do what needs to be
done at a reasonable price it is fine, but I am tired of supporting businesses or people just because they
are considered a minority.

As long as JCI makes money, doesn't break laws and
operates responsibly that is all you can ask for.
No. of Recommendations: 1
"Support of minority businesses" is not a reason to
own a company. If the businesses do what needs to be
done at a reasonable price it is fine, but I am tired 
of hiring/using businesses or people just because they
are considered a minority.

As long as JCI makes money, doesn't break laws and
operates responsibly that is all you can ask for.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The real reason that JCI and other automotive suppliers are working with minority businesses is because the automotive OEM's are insisting on it. They are issuing mandates in the purchasing contracts that a certain percentage of new business has to come from minority suppliers.

Is this the right thing to do? I welcome the OEM's action from a corporate citizenship point of view, but I am worried that: 1) companies are not making these purchases on a best financial/product basis (which hurts the company's performance and reputation)
2) Many of the "minority" businesses turn out to be scams with figurehead ownership (which does not benefit those who need it)

I am skeptical that there are very many untapped suppliers for JCI (minority or otherwise) that can deliver a quality product at a competitive price.