No. of Recommendations: 0
Recently I was advised to check out Mint.com and did so. I am really enjoying having everything laid out for me and the net worth statement available so easily. Plus all my debts, retirement funds, etc. laid out for me to see.

I realize others use spreadsheets for this, but for me I like Mint.com. Anyone else have experience with it? We've used it for two months only so may not have the depth of experience of others.

Mara
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Anyone else have experience with it?

Been using Mint for 2 years. It's great for analysis/hindsight/reporting, but terrible for planning/budgeting. I would submit that you still need an alternate budgeting tool, or else I haven't substantially figured out how to utilize Mint's budget feature to really keep reins on spending.

ETR
I like a lot of things about Mint. But it definitely has some flaws.

I just love the overview. I also like the categorizing of transactions and reporting on spending.

It needs work on the investment reporting part.

Also, you may find gaps where it doesn't have access to some of your accounts.
Mint is not my cup of tea...

In the Clouds - (my numbers up there, in some server 'somewhere'? In this day and age of I.D theft and spam?)

and their business strategy of

Users get Free software

Customers (who pay), apparently pay to have privy to data - I think so they can suggest and sell their wares....

Sounds a lot like Facebook.

sorry, my take on it.
I like the birds eye view. I use quicken for real time tracking of [i.e. daily] receipts and an excel sheet for budgeting.

I'm not sure Mint stores all your data on their servers. I think it downloads and displays the balances. They use bank level encryption and SSL so your info is just as safe as it is on any of the bank sites.

Obviously you should use a strong password. Great site for getting a quick NW summary. Not an all-encompassing tool by any means.