Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
Miriam....
I'm no expert either, plus I'm a "military transplant" to Colorado, with just under 2 years in this great state. But, my impression of Amendment 24 is this: It represents a groundswell of frustration at the grass roots level. This frustration is mainly about the perceived lack of growth controls imposed by the various levels of govt on the big development companies. It seems that many people feel the development companies are running amok, and sometimes local governments (mostly county level) are A) not doing anything to stop/control them and b) sometimes contributing to poor growth decisions -- sometimes thru indecision. I'll give you two examples from here in El Paso County:

1) Developers here are required to build roads into new subdivisions. They then post a "repair bond" with the city/county and this $$$ stays in a govt coffer for 1 year. If the roads are still servicable after a year, the devloper gets the $$$ back. Well, who couldn't build a road that will hold up for a year?? Heck, I could do that! Especially with the reduced traffic running thru a new subdivision (reduced compared to the traffic level 5 years later). Most roads shouldn't need to be repaved for 7-9 years, according to a civil engineer friend of mine. But the city/county finds that the roads need major work at the 3,4 or 5 year point. This 1 year bond doesn't seem to faze the big companies at all, and the city/county gets stuck with poor roads. This appears to be a combination of sloppy contractors -- doing "just enough to get by" -- and poor local government (how 'bout a 7 year bond??). A secondary issue can be pointed right at local govt here in the Springs: We have untold thousands of miles of new roads, but only 47 (!!!) city snow plows. The city govt seems to have forgotten they aren't a small cow town anymore.......time to get more plows!

2. Poor city planning also leads to frustration. Example: the county & the state have just begun a multi-year effort to put in overpasses at key intersections on Powers Blvd, on the east side of town. This will allow traffic on Powers (north-south artery) to proceed smoother, eventually turning Powers into something akin to E470 in Denver. But, at the same time they made this relatively intelligent decision they also decided, again intelligently, to extend Powers north to eventually link with I25 north of town. The first extension takes Powers north of Woodmen....a growing east/west corridor. In 5 years, the intersection of Powers/Woodmen will be a busy intersection. But did the city say: "Any new intersection on Powers must be an overpass".......no! So while they spend millions to build overpasses at existing intersections, they appear incapable of thinking 5 years out regarding NEW intersections. Another "town of small cowpaths" attitude.

There are 100s of other examples of thoughtless planning/developer influence that leads to that groundswell of frustration. The frustration crystalized in Amendment 24. I think 24 will not pass, but that it will at least put "growth control & planning" on the government's radar scope.....

So as far as your question " What I mean
to ask is if 24 is an attempt to keep people from moving to Colorado, or is it just an attempt to
manage the growth the seems so inevitable?

I would say it is a slightly misguided attempt to get a handle on explosive growth, particularly along the front range.

my .04 cents (whew...long post!)

YodaCo
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.