Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since 1990 there have been contributions made to a traditional IRA, but not reported on 1040 as a IRA reduction or reported on a 8606. The person involved did not know either reporting was available or needed. She had 1040 tax return prepared by H&R Block and AARP Tax aide over the years, but was never asked about making IRA contributions and didn't know to tell them of the contributions. What is required to rectify this? Since these were never claimed as an IRA tax deduction, can the funds be converted to a ROTH IRA and only pay taxes on the growth in value? Thanks for any help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.