Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
MissEdithKeeler:

I have enjoyed the thread you triggered!!! Let me share our story...

Since college, I had worked in a field I liked very much, but suffered when some corporate BS triggered a big change in my job responsibilities, so I started looking. In about a year (surviving with the same money but doing less pleasant work), I jumped ship to be a manager for another, smaller company in my preferred line of work. I was there for another dozen years, enjoying what my team and I accomplished... and then one day in my late fifties I got hit with the scary words "You're being laid off today." It was part of much wider layoff.

WHAM!

I packed up, being careful to also unload my PC (to prevent my team from suffering when successors started prying into my comments, etc.) And off we went into the next chapter of our lives...

I did consulting work, and we made out okay. Kids were done with college, too. One day, my wife had to retire, for various reasons, asked me if I really WANTED to do that work any more! (We'd had no bites from agencies for a while, either. After all, I was 60+ by then.) Truth was, no, I didn't want to do it any more, so she smiled and said "Why not just admit that you're retired -- like me!?" So that was it.

We both started SS at age 62 -- for various reasons, mostly because other factors forced us to do so.

That was almost a couple of decades ago, and we're still doing okay. We love our retirement home on this ridge, on several acres. It's peaceful and quiet here, and one of our grown children and her family live nearby and help us when we need them. Other kids do, too. Bills are paid, almost no mortgage is left, and we're very content.

It can be done! Be honest with yourself and ask "What do I REALLY want to do with the rest of my life?" We did, and have no regrets!

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Vermonter
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.