Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I completed my taxes yesterday using TurboTax - I clicked the print and file option and assembled the documents and mailed them last night.

This morning, I realized that Form 6251 -Alternative Minimum Tax - did not print out and therefore I accidentally did not include it in my filing - ( I reported an ISO exercise on line 10)

I notice the instructions indicate it should be attached to the 1040.

I am wondering what to do now - that will result in the least amount of confusion for the IRS and least amount of bureaucratic hassle for me.

When a form is missing, would you mail it in separately with a note?

Do I need to face the long lines again at the post office before Monday - or would they take it after that date?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

MSpice
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Reading your post, I realize the return I sent last week also did not have form 6251.
It might be worthwhile for you to file for 1040X and attach your 6251 if the form in fact showed you owed extra tax.
Form 6251 shows I didn't own any AMT. However, I have a low income housing limited partnership and a natural gas partnership, both of which result in tax credits. Two years in a row IRS not understanding where my (valid) credits came from resulted in an assessment of extra tax, both years reversed when they received explanations, which last year included Form 6251. I intended to file it this year--Turbotax generates it in any case so no sweat--but didn't.

Do you suppose after losing arguments with me two years in a row about extra tax related to my tax credits, that this year the IRS will just leave me alone? If not, we'll trot out the forms again, because now I KNOW I'm right!
Best wishes, Chris
No. of Recommendations: 3
This morning, I realized that Form 6251 -Alternative Minimum Tax - did not print out and therefore I accidentally did not include it in my filing - ( I reported an ISO exercise on line 10)

I notice the instructions indicate it should be attached to the 1040.

I am wondering what to do now

Wait. If they want it, they'll write. Otherwise don't worry about it. You'll get nothing but grief if you try to get it associated on your own.

Phil Marti