Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings,

This is the first year that I wasn't mailed a 1040 Forms & Instructions package, the 1/2 inch-thick booklet with all the forms I need, tax tables, instructions, etc. I understand that I can download the forms as pdf files and print them, but my two biggest concerns are the lack of envelope and address label that came with the package, and the lack of label (with my name, address, etc.) that I affix to the top of the 1040 form.

Is there a reason I didn't get this package, and will not having it create unnecessary complications when submitting my tax return?

Thank you in advance.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Is there a reason I didn't get this package,

I think the IRS quit mailing those packages completely. It can get a bit expensive to print and mail all of those packages when the majority of them just ended up in the trash.

and will not having it create unnecessary complications when submitting my tax return?

Nope. As long as you know your name and address, that is. ;-)

--Peter
The IRS has announced that they will not be mailing out packages of forms, etc. this year without a specific request.
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=228162,00.html
You can request that any of the IRS forms, instructions, or publications be mailed to you from the IRS website. This should give you anything that you need except for the envelope and label. Why the concern?
I assume that forms and instructions will also be available in some libraries and post offices although I haven't seen them in any places I've been to so far this year.

Bob
The IRS has announced that they will not be mailing out packages of forms, etc. this year without a specific request.

Makes sense from a cost-savings standpoint.

Why the concern?

My concern was the envelope came with one of two mailing labels, depending on if I owed tax or was owed a refund. So let's say I finish my taxes tonight; to whom do I mail it?

My concern about the address sticker on the 1040 form is that with my common name, I presumed the pre-printed label has information encoded on it to make sure the IRS computers know it's really me.

I guess this will be the year I quit fooling around and file my taxes online?
No. of Recommendations: 1
My concern was the envelope came with one of two mailing labels, depending on if I owed tax or was owed a refund. So let's say I finish my taxes tonight; to whom do I mail it?

Where the instructions tell you to.
(the instructions give different addresses depending on whether you owe or not)

My concern about the address sticker on the 1040 form is that with my common name, I presumed the pre-printed label has information encoded on it to make sure the IRS computers know it's really me.

You put your SS# at the top of the form - that *should* be unique to just you, and therefore let the IRS computers match you up right.

All of the mailing addresses are in the instructions. It means a little extra work for you because you have to find the correct address out of a table.

It's been a while since I've seen a label, but I believe the only information on the preprinted label is your name(s), address, and SSN(s).

I guess this will be the year I quit fooling around and file my taxes online?

That's your call.

Ira
Well JB you can take it one step further and file your return(s) electronically online.Then you won't have a need for labels or know where to mail your return(s).It will be handled by the tax software.

Best Regards,

Rich
It's been a while since I've seen a label, but I believe the only information on the preprinted label is your name(s), address, and SSN(s).

Mailing tax forms with the taxpayers SSN visible caused a stir a few years ago. I doubt that they still included a SSN. I can't verify that because haven't been sent tax forms for several years.
Is there a reason I didn't get this package,

Not automatically mailing tax forms makes sense. Very few of the forms were actually used. Even many who filed paper returns used tax software to print the forms.

Mailing tax forms with the taxpayers SSN visible caused a stir a few years ago. I doubt that they still included a SSN. I can't verify that because haven't been sent tax forms for several years.

You're right. It's probably xxx-xx-NNNN, with only the last four digits shown.

Ira