Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm going to do this in the dutch oven out on the grill this weekend. We are supposed to hit 111°f here in SoCal so we will be cooking as much as possible outside. I plan on giving the chuck a high heat grilling before I chop it up and place it in the DO. Side of mash tators with the tators cooked on the grill
Ingredients
1 (3-4 pounds) chuck roast
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet au jus gravy mix
1/4 cup butter
4-5 pepperoncini peppers
Instructions
Place roast in the slow cooker and sprinkle the top with the ranch dressing mix and the au jus mix. Place peppers on top of the mixes, and add the butter.
Cook over low heat for 8 hours. Serve with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

Notes
Do not add any water or broth to this! It will make enough liquid as it cooks.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Do you melt the butter before adding it? And is that fresh peppers or canned/pickled?

AC *enquiring minds want to know*
No. of Recommendations: 2
Do you melt the butter before adding it? And is that fresh peppers or canned/pickled?
No just dump everything in the DO. Meat, beef broth *, pepper juice, dry mixes, pepperoncini, and chunks of butter on top. The pepperoncini come in a jar and they are pickled
* I'm adding liquid because I'm cooking on the grill and don't want to dry out the DO
No. of Recommendations: 1
Only add a splash of the pickle juice and check your salt levels
I assume that you are using a gas grill for this. Are you cookin it on a side burner or inside the grill? This is a variation of them 5 or 4 ingredient recipes from the last century that my mother, who told me many times how she hated to cook, used to make.
;-(
One of her favorites was “Beef Burgundy”, 3-5 pounds beef, a package of onion soup mix, a cup or so of red wine and a shake of pepper cooked in a pressure cooker!!!! I prefers cookin slow food with my own fresh ingredients, me.
;-)

The recipe and background of “Mississippi Pot Roast” can be found at https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/heres-how-to-make-missis... if y’all are interested.
;-)

C.J.V. - probably won’t try making it but please post the results when you do, yes
I assume that you are using a gas grill for this.
Yes Sir, I'm using my rescued from the curb and rebuilt vintage weber sprint gasser that I converted to natural gas. I will crank up the heat and brown the meat then lower the heat to reach 300° in the Dutch oven and let the whole shebang simmer till the meat is fork-tender- This recipe is intended for a crockpot but I thought I would give it a go out on the grill
To get chuck roast tender its important to cook it long and slow in moist heat.

My recipe calls for braising. Cook it in a dutch oven with boiling water for a few hours. Then add veggies to finish. Makes its own gravy.

Cube beef and dredge in flour. Brown in oil. Then add water and onions. Veggies include potatoes, cellery and carrots. Plus bullion cubes.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I will crank up the heat and brown the meat then lower the heat to reach 300° in the Dutch oven and let the whole shebang simmer till the meat is fork-tender-

I like the idea of grilling the meat instead of browning it in the pot.

I got an instapot 2 years ago. I make yogurt 2x a month, corned beef & cabbage, and once a stew... but even thoughg it says
brown meat in the instapot, the grill sounds mas bueno. then chunk it and put it into the instapot for the long haul.
Cube beef and dredge in flour. Brown in oil.

That was our m.o., but since the goal is carmelizing the meat for flavor, grillling the slab on super-heat and then cubing it sounds simpler.
OK Forget all of the hooplas- Hot grilling the hunk of meat is the way to go for all of the stews, soups, and beef pulls. Other than the pepperoncini and juice it just a basic pulled beef roast. No need for the other stuff. I think the vinegar from the peppers helped to break down the chuck roast- You all have cooked better chuck stews before.nothing to see here. it's your best chuck stew with pepperoncini. I will say that grilling the hunk of beef on the grill is the way to go. Think Pittsburg blue