Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Mjk, you know they (i.e. Treasury) are not selling the 1-year anymore. I think the last one was back in November 2000. Ed has to come up with some other way to represent a one-year interest rate, and I will be happy to look into this for you.

The "IRX" is actually an option that tracks the 91-day rate. The rate can also be found in the New York Times business section, usually in a small box "Key Rates" and "3-month T-bills". IRX and the figure reported are usually the same. Sometimes one is off by one or two basis points.

People have to add a few basis points (nine or so lately) on to this "discount rate" to determine the "investment rate", which treats the 91-day bill as if it were a one-year investment (since you could re-invest 3 month money four times during a year.) There is a formula in the regs, but it is easier to visit:

http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/servlet/OFBills

and just have Treasury's figure there for you.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.