No. of Recommendations: 0
Mkraft asks:

<<Pixy, the final '98 Roth recharacterization deadline looms, and I am going over my decision one last time.

What in your opinion are the main factors for & against conversions of * large * IRA sums -- i.e., where marginal tax bracket will definitely be impacted due to the conversion?>>

The factors I consider important in deciding to convert or not are outlined in the analysis I did that appears in post 1567 at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1040013000441002&sort=postdate. The most important considerations IMHO are to pay the taxes due with non-IRA money and have at least 10 or more years before you need to touch the money. Even then it's not a sure thing. I've seen few large-sum conversion scenarios that make sense because so much depends on tax rates today versus those prevailing in the withdrawal years. You must run the numbers similar to the procedure I used in the analysis.

<<In your mind, is there any situation in which having the conversion funds taxed at 28% for a person whose normal bracket is primarily 15% would still favor a conversion?>>

IMHO that depends more on the bracket in retirement more than the one you're in today. Ideally, you should be in at least
the same as the one in which you paid the conversion tax, and preferably a higher one. Otherwise you will encounter difficulty in overcoming the compounding lost on the intitial cash outlay for the taxes today. Again, you really have to run the numbers.

Regards..Pixy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.