Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am determined to do it myself and have lots of MLPs in my taxable accounts!

I use TT for K-1 for fed and state of residence and for the other states, I am building a spreadsheet for figuring out the minimum income reporting requirements as well as filing compulsions without this limit. Has anyone in the community undertaken such effort? Is there a weblink that shows the list of states and filing requirements with or without minimum income?

Thanks

Anurag
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Wow...I am confused. Are you saying that we have to file a K-1 both for federal and the state we reside in (if that state has state income tax reporting) plus each state that the MLP has operating interests in?

I was under the impression that you only had to file a K-1 for each MLP owned for federal income taxes (and maybe state if living in a state that has state income taxes reporting).
No. of Recommendations: 3
Wow...I am confused. Are you saying that we have to file a K-1 both for federal and the state we reside in (if that state has state income tax reporting) plus each state that the MLP has operating interests in?

I was under the impression that you only had to file a K-1 for each MLP owned for federal income taxes (and maybe state if living in a state that has state income taxes reporting).

=============================
Let's get the terminology straight.
You, as a partner, don't "file a K-1." The K-1 schedules (1 for each partner) are filed by the partnership with its return, and you, the partner, are sent a copy.

Generally, there's no need to include a copy of the K-1 with your return. Now there may be for state purposes, if you have state tax withheld, or you need it to claim a credit for taxes paid to other states.

Now, if you have sufficient income attributable to a state, based on each state's rules, (see table included in a prior post), then yes, you could be required to file a state return in several other states.

Bill
Thanks for the clarification, Bill.