Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
In a recent Barron's article a financial manager said he buys KMI for "growth with income" and KMR for "income with growth" for his clients' portfolios. Elsewhere (, I have read that KMR, which pays distributions as extra shares of stock instead of cash, eliminates the tax complications of ordinary MLPs like KMP in tax-deferred accounts. The implication is that the IRS considers the extra shares like stock splits and not UBTI. Is that true? Enbridge Energy's EEQ versus EEP is the same construct. I'm looking more toward the "income with growth" direction with Kinder Morgan but don't want tax complications of ordinary MLPs, especially in an IRA, and that's where I have the cash to invest. By the way, I have both ROTH and traditional IRAs. Would there be a preference between those two?

--Tim (BoomerBull)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.