Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
I hope to restart this discussion on MLPs (although it seems that many on this board are not eager to put up with the hassle of owning them).

I've been doing as much research as I can on MLPs after they appeared repeatedly in screens I was running for high-dividend stocks. I'd like to share what I've learned and hear from those with more experience in this kind of investment.

The good news for me is that Paul's concern
"Also none of the partnerships are large enough to be followed by analysts. You are completely on your own (aided by bulletin boards as those on Yahoo) to read the trust news releases and reports and make your own buy and sell decisions. This does mean pros tend to avoid them."
is no longer true. Perhaps because of the appearance of 'I-shares,' a vehicle through which institutional investors can invest in MLPs, almost all the major investment banks have coverage of the sector now. Much of my early research has consisted of reading these Wall Street reports, and maybe I'm being duped, but I found them very helpful.

I know that there are a wide variety of MLPs, but much of my research has focused on oil & gas pipeline MLPs, and, to a lesser extent, propane MLPs. Accordingly, that is what I'll focus my posting on.

For starters, here's a list of the MLPs that I've looked at along with ticker and current dividend yield. For those new to the sector, this ought to be enticing. . .

Oil & Gas MLPs
Atlas Pipeline Partners, L.P. (APL) 8.36%
Buckeye Partners, L.P. (BPL) 6.93%
El Paso Energy Partners, L.P. (EPN) 8.79%
Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. (EEP) 8.50%
Enterprise Products Partners, L.P. (EPD) 6.41%
EOTT Energy Partners, L.P. (EOT) no div yet
Genesis Energy Partners, L.P. (GEL) no div yet
Kaneb Pipe Line Partners, L.P. (KPP) 9.27%
Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. (KMP) 7.80%
Northen Border Partners, L.P. (NBP) 9.18%
Pacific Energy Partners, L.P. (PPX) no div yet
Plains All American Pipeline, L.P. (PAA) 9.09%
Sunoco Logistics Partners L.P. (SXL) 8.07%
TC PipeLines, L.P. (TCLP) 7.98%
TEPPCO Partners, L.P. (TPP) 8.72%
Valero, L.P. (VLI) 7.75%
Williams Energy Partners, L.P. (WEG) 8.60%

Propane MLPs
Amerigas Partners, L.P. (APU) 2.20%
Ferrellgas Partners, L.P. (FGP) 10.13%
Heritage Propane Partners, L.P. (HPG) 9.44%
Inergy, L.P. (NRGY) 9.35%
Star Gas Partners (SGU) 12.97%
Suburban Propane Partners, L.P. (SPH) 8.58%

Resource MLPs
Alliance Resource Partners, L.P. (ARLP) 9.13%
Penn Virginia Resource Partners, L.P (PVR) no div yet
Phosphate Resource Partners, L.P. (PLP) 10.00%
Plum Creek Timber, L.P. (PCL) 9.58%
Terra Nitrogen Company, L.P. (TNH) 4.60%

All of these companies are covered by at least one major investment bank. The dividend yields are as of close Wednesday, Sept. 25

Rock Chalk,

KJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.