Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I hold 300 shares of Philip Morris stock in a regular IRA with a full service broker. The dividends go into a tax-deferred money fund that is part of the IRA. While the stock part of my IRA has fallen over the past year (no kidding), the money fund has grown to $11,000+ over the years.

My broker gave me some options of what to do with this money fund, such as buy other stocks - thru him of course.

MY QUESTION: Legally and logistically, can I pull out just the money that is currently in this tax-deferred money fund from my broker's firm and do a trustee-to-trustee transfer to acquire something like a mutual fund (as a Roth IRA), investing the money directly with the mutual fund?

I ask this question because I do not know if I can transfer just SOME of an IRA account to another trustee.

My rationale is that I will have greater freedom to invest the money as I wish, not subject to the limitations of the broker's offerings, and that I would save myself some money since the broker probably charges a lot to buy stocks for me (I'm guessing).
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.