Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Seeking connections: H. Eugene Stanley, Nature 422, 819 (24 April 2003);

4/28/03 an interview with H Eugene Stanley

Given your interest in the behaviour of economic phenomena, do you have any tips for finance?

HES:Pay attention to the cross-correlations between the movements of different stocks in your portfolio, and update this information regularly. This activity is not unlike those of statistical physicists, where we must pay great attention to statistical correlations between variables, and how these evolve over time.

What's just around the corner?

HES:Better ways of uncovering the useful, 'hidden' scientific information that seems to be carried in fluctuations; to see the connections between the different fields in which fluctuation phenomena are important, such as my recent work on connections between fluctuations in economic systems and fluctuations in systems near special 'critical points' (V. Plerou, P. Gopikishnan and H. E. Stanley Nature 421, 130; 2003).
Print the post Back To Top
This is fraught with trouble, because I'm sure that given the random nature of stock movements, it's very easy to see cross-correlations when there are really none there.
i don't know.....have over the years in watching my portfolio found that on really big up/down days, days with point or % change beyond 1 std deviation, that anamolous behavior (up on day market down big or vice versa) by ind'l securities is information worth paying attention to. test it in a small universe like the dow or nasdaq 100. you'll see what i mean.
tr