Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 11
Monkey Fund, symbol DART.
Ah, that's it, name the fund Diversity.

Reminds me of a fund designed to buy only the "sin" stocks.
But the marketing people go hold of it and changed it at the last minute to "fun stocks".

Maybe the "Malkiel Fund"? It's nice and obscure, so it wouldn't scare people away.
From the quote of Burton Malkiel, in his classic 1973 book A Random Walk Down Wall Street, that
“a blindfolded monkey throwing darts at the stock listings could select a portfolio that would do just as well as one selected by the experts.”

I'm a huge fan of the paper "The Surprising Alpha from Malkiel’s Monkey and Upside-Down Strategies"
thereformedbroker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/jpm_summer2...
Perhaps it's too strong, but I'll say it anyway: anyone who hasn't read it should do so.
Certainly anyone interested in the idea of quant factors outperforming a cap weight index.

A more recent short article on the subject.
https://medium.com/@dmca/strategy-chance-and-malkiels-monkey...
"The wonderful point that Arnott, Hsu, Kalesnik, and Tindall make in their simiously-titled paper
is that it doesn’t matter all that much which strategy you choose to weight the positions in the
portfolio. What is important is that you:
* Have a principled allocation strategy
* Rebalance the portfolio once in a while"

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.