Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Is there a website that provides a list of current earnings power staircase stocks?

If not, is there a website that provides an excel spreadsheet which guides you in inputting the appropriate financial data to calculate defensive and enterprising income?

Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Wow, a question I can answer :-)

There is one here: http://xdiv.com/hg/wiki/Spreadsheets

It's very good, but I think there are some mistakes in it (I think the capital leases are not calculated correctly). But I am new at this, so I might be wrong.

Dot
No. of Recommendations: 0
Not that I know of.

If you page back a few years there is (or was) a link to an Earnings Power SS that a reader made for everyone else to use, which was generous.
No. of Recommendations: 2
It's very good, but I think there are some mistakes in it (I think the capital leases are not calculated correctly). But I am new at this, so I might be wrong.

I'm still around so if you correct any errors in the spreadsheet let me know and I can update the hosted version.

Also at one point Sand105 had taken my spreadsheet and automated a bunch of the entries using the Excel smf_addin. I never tried it and I can't seem to download it right now but perhaps someone else will have more luck: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25681467

-Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Thanks so much for making that available! It has helped clear up a lot of questions for me. I'm making my own spreadsheet, just because I will know how it works, and as a learning tool. But it is so helpful to have yours!

It looks like you are including the current year (which would be the past year, I think) of the annual report in the capitalized operating leases. I think that makes it included twice, since wouldn't that already be included in SG&A or COGS? I believe you only want to sum years 1-6+, not years 0-6+, in other words.

And, after you calculate the year 6+ annuity, shouldn't you discount it back 6 years, not 5 (right now, your exponent is -5).

But I am no authority, I'm just learning all of this. So please tell *me* if I have it wrong. Thanks!

Dot
No. of Recommendations: 0
t looks like you are including the current year (which would be the past year, I think) of the annual report in the capitalized operating leases. I think that makes it included twice, since wouldn't that already be included in SG&A or COGS? I believe you only want to sum years 1-6+, not years 0-6+, in other words.

And, after you calculate the year 6+ annuity, shouldn't you discount it back 6 years, not 5 (right now, your exponent is -5).

You may well be right. I'm in the middle of a move right now so it's going to be a while before I get around to looking into it. If you get a more definitive answer from Hewitt or someone else let me know.

-Daniel