Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
IRA's and Roth IRA's outside of your 401K are subject to limits on how much you can contribute and if you can contribute before taxes. Read IRS Pub-590A.

The 2 of you should look at your income and potential income going forward in mapping out a plan.

There are many who recommend putting in enough in a 401K to get any company match and incentives. Then fund a Roth IRA if Eligible based on income, Followed by an IRA if deductible, then back to 401K for all you can afford after that.

The idea is that as your incomes increase in future years you may be locked out of Roth IRA Contributions, or IRA Deductible Contributions. 401K will not lock you out of that MAX unless your 401K deems you a HCE (Highly Compensated Employee). HCE Categorization is plan dependent so only your 401K provider could give guidance on this.

Best of Luck.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.