Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 29
Hey all,

I went back to the hospital at around 6 tonight to see CameraNerd some more. His mom was there when I got there, reading him a book.

After just a little while, he started trying to talk a little more, and between 6:30 and 7 when the nurses were doing shift change, the night nurse was trying to get him to talk more and told us we should try to chat with him as much as possible for a while.

Over the course of around 1.5 hours or so, MIL and I talked to CN and got responses from him, and he is becoming more understandable.

A few thoughts/highlights on the day.

a) He is not yet allowed food - probably later tonight or tomorrow. They have to check some things before they can allow him to eat.

b) As a result of a) and the surgeries, etc he has not eaten since Tuesday night. He is FREAKIN' HUNGRY and starting to complain about it. As in, he must have asked for food at least 50 times or so in an hour. That's pretty painful to watch, ya know?

c) One thing they are watching out for is how much he'll talk, how well he responds to questions, and such so that if there are any issues they can narrow down whether it's because he is hammered on drugs or because of neurological issues. So far, he seems to be doing OK - they said there is nothing on the neurological side that's alarming at this time.

d) Poor guy's voice is scratchy and throat hurts though from having the tube down his throat for 3 days. So it feels kind of mean to try and make him talk but we do it anyway. :o)

e) One thing I got to tell the nurse that she said was GREAT is that even though he is all drugged up, he is using facial expressions and things that I am used to when he responds to us. He's not just parroting back one word yes and no answers, he pulled out a little bit of sarcasm and joking tonight. This is good stuff.

f) This evening, his mom was trying to get him to say that he appreciates me. (Wow, what a good MIL I have!). Anywho, he couldn't say much, but he did go along with a little schtick we have as a couple.

<schtick>
dianakalt: (does something nice for CN)
CN: smiles in response or otherwise says thank you.
dianakalt says to CN: "What am I, CN?"
CN replies: "The Best Wife Ever."
</schtick>

So. He got through surgery, is waking up and starting to talk, and still knows I am the best wife ever. ROCK!

d

now where the crap is the pathology report?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Yay!!!!!! good news all around!

Ishtar
I know you have to be so relieved!

Hang in there, not long from now this will all just be a story you occasionally mention! It will be just a memory. I'm still praying for you both!

Always ;-)
Hunzi
Once upon a time, my mother had some surgery. And her doctor told us the way he knew she was really getting better was that she had started to complain.

So glad to hear CN is feeling well enough to do so.

Ellen
No. of Recommendations: 1
now where the crap is the pathology report?

On every test I've ever had with a doctor (including a biopsy on a suspicious mole) I was told "no news is good news".

So, though the waiting absolutely blows, it's probably a good thing.

Why don't you take CameraNerd in one of those light sabers the kids were playing with? That way he can respond to annoying things with whacks.

impolite

D: "Still hungry?"
CN: WHACK
b) As a result of a) and the surgeries, etc he has not eaten since Tuesday night. He is FREAKIN' HUNGRY and starting to complain about it. As in, he must have asked for food at least 50 times or so in an hour. That's pretty painful to watch, ya know?

Do they have him on TPN? (I think that was what it was called - it's the IV nutrition stuff.) Last summer, I had to do the "don't eat before surgery" thing, then post op, I was supposed to be on clear liquids for a couple of weeks, but I couldn't get more than a few ounces down a day because it was so painful (turned out I had a small perforation in my stomach) so a week later when we realized I was really sick - 2nd surgery - and then I wasn't allowed more than ice chips for 2 more weeks, so they put me on that TPN stuff - and it doesn't take away the tummy growlies, but it does keep your body from screaming that it's starving!

I'm sure in CN's case they'll just want to go slow and make sure he can swallow ok and stuff - but it was that 5th day in the hospital with no food (and they hadn't added the TPN yet) that I ran out of energy stores and really started to feel crappy - it takes a lot of energy to heal! So if they don't feed him today, ask what the plan is and see if IV nutrition is an option even if it's just for a couple of days - it really did help me to feel better, and it might help CN!

I'm sure this morning they're bringing him an exciting tray of chicken broth, popsicles and jello!

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Joann Floyd
MDP Home Fool
Do they have him on TPN?

They started him on IV nutrition stuff yesterday, I think probably because he was complaining.

This morning, they did some tests of his swallowing function while I was there, and proclaimed him ready for pudding. He ate one thingie of vanilla pudding, making faces the whole time. I asked him what's wrong, doncha like pudding and he said "I like chocolate better."

So, we fetched him some chocolate pudding and he scarfed that down as well. :o) They are going to give him lunch today.

It killed me to do it, but I had to come home so I can work for a while. Hopefully I can truck through a bunch of stuff quickly and go back shortly.

d
It's great to hear that CN is making progress.

Hang in there,

Cosmos
f) This evening, his mom was trying to get him to say that he appreciates me. (Wow, what a good MIL I have!). Anywho, he couldn't say much, but he did go along with a little schtick we have as a couple.

<schtick>
dianakalt: (does something nice for CN)
CN: smiles in response or otherwise says thank you.
dianakalt says to CN: "What am I, CN?"
CN replies: "The Best Wife Ever."
</schtick>

Love your schtick. It's nice.

Love that CN is still doing the schtick.

Love the report.

Hang in there!

MOI
Love your schtick. It's nice.

Love that CN is still doing the schtick.

Love the report.

See later thread for more schtick, MOI.

:D

d
See later thread for more schtick,

Oh, I'm caught up now. I just didn't want to be repetitive.

I love all your schticks.*

MOI