Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
More significantly, when I attended UCLA, my tuition per quarter was $80.00. That's right. $80.00 for a three-month quarter. I could buy used books at the university bookstore, and pay my share of the $75.00/month rent in our Westwood apartment while working part-time in a Brentwood law office as a file clerk.

I never had to borrow a dime, and carried 21 units per quarter, and earning my bachelor's degree easily one full quarter less than the traditional four years.

Basically the same here, except four years of undergrad and three years of seminary did leave me with $4000 in student debt, that I paid off in about 4 years.

Now those debt levels are astronomical for recent grads- especially those serving as baristas at Starbucks

Tuition at the public university I attended 1967-68 was $12/credit hour. Then I transferred to a private University and thought I was getting robbed when tuition there rose to $36/credit hour.

Yes, I worked my way through school, but that’s not an option for most college students these days- unless they are willing to assume a crushing debt load.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.